Friday 12 July 2013

A Week's Work Experience at Little Actors

Admittedly, I've always been a little apprehensive about work experience. I'd long heard horror stories about nightmare placements and supervisors from hell- one such example being a friend who spent a whole two weeks manually turning sprinklers off and on at a golf course. So, when I stepped up at school (bright eyed and with my best 'eager-to-learn' face on) and announced, "I'm interested in theatre!" I wasn't really sure what to expect. Thankfully, I'm pleased to say that Samantha and Little Actors took me on!

Even after a week at Little Actors, it's difficult to find the apposite word for the brilliant work they do. I suppose the word I'd most associate it with is 'community.' Throughout my week, I've been to meetings about arts in the community, meetings about community events and met everyone from councillors, to artists, to actors, to rotary club members. Little Actors works to make the arts accessible to everyone- and I think that's fantastic. The impression I've gained is that it's not just about teaching kids to sing, act and dance, it's about teaching them important skills that they'll use in later life. That's what really sets Little Actors apart.

Yes, I've been shown the boring side too- I think I've had the administrative equivalent of a baptism of fire (and I confess that the world of finance is still a baffling mystery to me). However, as Little Actors works with industry professionals, I've learnt about theatre from people with real experience. Samantha has taught me about Equity and auditions, and voice overs and drama schools, as well as answering every possible question I could throw at her.

I'd like to thank Samantha and Little Actors for a brilliant week, and I think they do an amazing job of bringing theatre to the public!

-Kate Collins
 West Kirby Grammar School, Year 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment